Friday, August 5, 2011

Take that, junk food!

Today was a day of victories!

Victory #1:
While we were running errands, we needed to eat lunch. Normally when we're out, we drive through McDonald's. My usual is a bacon and cheese snack wrap, double cheeseburger, medium fry and pop (yeah, yeah--no wonder I'm overweight). Instead, we ate at Subway. Now, I eat at Subway sometimes and I usually eat an entire 12 in sub on white bread with cheese and mayo. Obviously, that would be a bit much given my current diet. So instead I chose a 6 in turkey on flatbread, no cheese, lots of veggies and a bit of the sweet onion sauce. Much to my dismay, it tasted a-ma-zing! Perhaps even just a smidge better than that stuff I used to eat at McDonald's. Seriously. It was good. Take that, McDonald's junk! I don't need you anymore!

Victory #2:
My baby girl turns 1 August 10, and we're having her party tomorrow. I've recently decided I want to learn how to decorate cakes and make candies. Great timing, huh? Figures I want to take up a hobby that will just add to my waistline. But today I needed to prove to myself that I could make those tasteful sweets without indulging. I made 40 chocolate covered pretzels and a whole thing of chocolate covered oreos. I didn't eat a single one--not even the ones that broke or didn't turn out right. They went to the dogs, kids or into the trash. That's a first for me. A few weeks ago when I made cupcakes for Carlie's birthday, I think I ate 3 or 4 just to "taste test" them. I might allow myself one pretzel tomorrow, but truthfully it doesn't even sound good after making 40 of them. Take that, Sweet Stuff! I don't need you anymore either!

Victory #3:
This is perhaps the biggest victory of the day. I love pizza. I mean really, truly love pizza. Pepperoni and cheese--it just doesn't get any better than that! My mother-in-law brought our older two kids home this evening, and she brought supper--2 super, wonderfully yummy looking pizzas loaded with cheese and pepperoni. Now, in her defense, she doesn't know that I've changed my lifestyle and eating habits. Instead of pizza, I ate the tuna salad I made earlier today on a pita pocket and also had a low fat raspberry yogurt. I did look ever so longingly at the pizza as everyone else around me ate it. I'm pretty sure I cried a little tear. But in the end, the tuna satisified my hunger and it tasted pretty good. Maybe not as good as the pizza would have, though. I sent the leftover pizza home with my mother-in-law. No sense in having it tease me from the fridge. Take that, Pizza! I don't need you anymore, either! Okay, who am I kidding? I do need pizza, but just not not that really greasy pizza loaded with stuff that goes straight to my tush. I'll stick with the Lean Cuisine pizzas for now.

I think today I proved to myself that I do have self-control. I've probably had it all along. I just chose not to use it. Junk food and I have been best friends for too long. Instead of it being my best friend, I think it needs to be like that distant cousin that you only see a few times a year around the holidays. And even then, it needs to be in moderation.

Junk Food, you no longer have control over me. You may tempt me with your yummy smells and charming good looks, but you will no longer convince me that you're good for me. I'm learning how to make healthy choices. I can do this. I will do this! Junk Food, you will NOT win!

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! I am on a HUGE tuna kick too! I like to make mine with low fat mayo, relish, spicy mustard, and diced red onion. Mmmmmmmmm so yummy!

    ReplyDelete