Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I've been a walkin'...

Well, not really walking. Not really running. I've been elliptical-ing.

My mom bought an elliptical over a year ago. I've never used it before. I did move it once to clean my son's Lincoln Logs up from around it, but it never occurred to me to try it out. This past Sunday we were at my parents' house, and I didn't get a chance to exercise before we went over, so I decided to give the elliptical a try.

At first, I thought I'd give it 10 minutes just to see how it worked and if I liked it, but since I really didn't know how to use it, I just pushed the button that said "Weight Loss 1." It's a 30 minute work out, and once I finished the first 10 minutes, I decided to keep going. Four miles and a bunch of sweat later, I decided that maybe I could learn to love the elliptical.

My parents live 40 minutes away from me, so going their house every day to use it just isn't feasible. My mom, who is an absolutely amazing person, agreed to let me borrow it so I could use it anytime I wanted to at home. Have I mentioned just how wonderful my mom is? She's the best!

On Monday, we borrowed my dad's truck to bring it home. Jason and I got it unloaded and situated in the living room, and even though it was 7:30 and almost bath time for the kids, I decided to give it another try. I did another 4 miles in 30 minutes.

I've used it 4 days in a row, 4 miles each time. I cannot believe that I have logged 16 miles in 4 days. I'm guessing if I added up all the walking I did from the beginning of the year until last Sunday, it might total 16. Not only that, but I've burned an estimated 2000 calories in 4 days. That is enough to motivate me to keep going. I even got up at 6:30 this morning to get my workout in before the kids got up. I'm hoping to make that a regular part of my day. It was actually peaceful to workout while watching the news without anyone yelling at me or for me.

Eventually I'll be joining the YMCA and adding some strength training to my routine, but for now I'm just happy that I'm exercising at all. For someone who's only form of exercise was lighting a fork to my mouth, I'd say I'm making progressing. And that's all I really can ask of myself. Baby steps. With each step, I'm one pound closer to my goal of being healthy and comfortable in my own skin.

1 comment:

  1. You are doing so great! And I love it that you've so quickly found an exercise that you enjoy and that you have such a supportive family.

    ReplyDelete