Thursday, August 4, 2011

I think I must be sick...

"Mommy," he whispered, "I had a little accident," and he crawled up into my bed and pulled the covers over himself. I knew it couldn't possibly be morning yet. I felt like I just fell asleep. 5:45. Close enough to morning. Before I could say anything, Wyatt was already back asleep.


Now I'm in bed, wide awake and staring at the ceiling. I argue with myself about whether or not to get up and wash Wyatt's wet bed sheets or to go back to sleep. Then I think, "Well, I could work out before everyone gets up."

Yeah. I must be sick.

 I think the last time I got up before 7 to work was...well, never. Maybe in high school when I played volleyball, we might have had a practice that early in the morning. But as far as my adult life goes, I've never been up that early to exercise.
Exercise is pretty foreign to me. Beyond high school sports, I never did work out. Sometimes I consider the marathon days of shopping exercise. Does that count? If not, it should. Shopping with my mom and aunt can be hard work.


After convincing myself to get out of bed, I put the dirty bed sheets in the washer, grabbed a glass of ice water, and I turned on the Wii to Zumba. Monday, my day of revelation, was the first time I ever tried to Zumba. I've heard about it for quite awhile now, seeing my friends post on Facebook about going to Zumba class. It sounded fun, so when I saw the game a few weeks ago for the Wii, I decided to try it.


I'm pretty sure anyone driving by looking into my window thinks that there's a housewife gone mad if they're watching me. I lack so much coordination, and I feel like a big dork when I'm Zumba-ing. On Monday, I thought I was going to bust a hip. I certainly wasn't busting a move. I stuck with it, though. And this morning, I actually got my highest score so far. 402. I don't know if that's a good score, but it's my personal best. And what I'm even more proud of is that I did my exercise in the morning, before I could get too busy with my day and convince myself that I didn't have enough time to fit it in.


That's 4 days in a row of exercise. It might only be 20 minutes at a time, but for someone who considers shopping as my only source of exercise, I'd say 20 minutes for 4 consecutive days is an accomplishment. I have to do this in baby steps. Otherwise, I might get discouraged and want to give up. My next goal is to join the YMCA and finally get a personal trainer and be brave enough to exercise in public. Baby steps...


I'm learning the exercise shouldn't be a form of punishment for myself. It should be fun and something I enjoy. Zumba really is fun, even if I look like an uncoordinated goofball. I do sweat. My heart rate does increase. It makes me feel good! Honestly, I've felt really great emotionally and physically these last few days. Maybe that person I was always meant to be is finally making an appearance.

2 comments:

  1. What a great start to your day... minus the wet sheets of course!

    I'm so pleased to hear you report that you're already feeling better, what a blessing. Keep taking care of yourself, I'm excited to keep following your journey!

    ReplyDelete