Monday, August 8, 2011

Drum roll, please....the first weigh-in!

Before I share my weigh-in results, I'll start by saying that I began my journey to a new life on the first day of Auntie Flow, and I weighed myself in the evening with clothes on. That in itself is bound to make this first weigh-in look more impressive than it really is.

My weight on Aug. 1 was 298.

I'm one week into my journey, and I'm proud of what I've accomplished thus far. My only bite of "junk food" was a small (and I do mean small) slice of cake that we had for Kendra's first birthday party. Even at her party, I ate a turkey burger with a tbsp of lite Miracle Whip, 1/2 c. cottage cheese, and 2 pickles. Everyone else ate hamburgers, hot dogs, pasta salad, baked beans, chips and dip, and cake and ice cream. I'd say I did pretty good resisting all that not-so-healthy food. I stayed below the suggested caloric intake each day, and I exercised 5 out of 7 days. If vigorous cleaning is considered exercise, then I exercised 6 out of 7 days.

I've received so much support and encouragement this last week. My mom has been a major source of support. I've always known that she loves me unconditionally, and I know she'll love me no matter what I weigh. She just wants to see me get healthy and avoid complications like Type 2 Diabetes and high cholesterol due to my excessive weight. She even agreed to let me borrow her elliptical trainer indefinitely so I have a way to work out at home. I'm forever grateful for her encouragement.

I can already tell a difference. I put my capris on this morning, and they were loose enough to pull up and down without unbuttoning them. I couldn't do that a week ago. I feel better emotionally and physically, too. I've found myself smiling more than I did before.

One week down, a life time to go. All the sacrifices no longer seem like sacrifices to me. Giving up the junk food has been easier than I thought it would be. I still don't love exercise, but I'm learning to like it. Seeing results makes me want to keep going. Yesterday I did 4 miles in 30 minutes on the elliptical. I don't think I've ever walked 4 consecutive miles without a break. I find myself thinking I can't wait until I can go 5 or 6 miles in 30 minutes. It's motivating to see the miles tick by while I'm working out.

I'm saying goodbye to something today--I'm saying goodbye to the 290's! My first official weigh in was.....

288.5

9.5 pounds gone forever! I know next week's loss isn't likely to be as impressive because 1. I won't be retaining water and 2. I will weigh myself in the morning sans clothes.

Still, though, I've said goodbye to the 290's. I will NEVER see them again. And with each pound lost, I'm closer to my goal of being half my starting weight. The journey continues. I'm hopeful about what's in store for me. Slow and steady wins the races. The prize--a healthy body, mind, and spirit. So long 290's--you will NOT be missed!

1 comment:

  1. So long, 290s! What a fantastic first week! And your capri's tell the story, so don't sell yourself short making "excuses" to minimize this great loss--YOU made healthy food choices, YOU excercised, YOU made a commitment to a healthier lifestyle--not your clothes, AF or retained water. This was YOUR weight loss and it's awesome and something you should be proud of!

    ReplyDelete